As you may know, Chief and Council are working, with the assistance of Forward Law LLP, to update the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc Custom Election Regulations (the “CER”). The overall goal is to create Custom Election Regulations that:
- are clear and unambiguous;
- provide better communication of election information with Band Membership;
- provide the greatest opportunity for all Band Members’ votes to be included;
- allow for fair and open election processes;
- allow for a broad pool of qualified Candidates to run for Chief and Council;
- allow for an option of online voting in future Elections; and
- reflect the values of Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc.
Any change to the CER must be passed by a vote of membership, and as such Chief and Council will be holding a vote on the proposed amendments to the CER (the “Amendment Vote”).
There will be a General Band Meeting, starting on May 10, 2021 and running to May 12, 2021, to decide on this important issue, as follows:
- presentation and discussion of the proposed amendments from 4:30 – 7:30 pm at the online portion of the Band Meeting on May 10, 2021;
- online voting on the proposed amendments will take place on May 11, 2021 from 8am – 6pm;
- paper ballot voting on the proposed amendments will take place on May 12, 2021 from 8am – 6pm.
VIDEO | Information about Proposed Election Amendments
Packages have been sent out to membership with information on the upcoming Amendment Vote. The contents of those packages are available below, along with the full Custom Election Regulations with all proposed amendments included as tracked changes for anyone who wishes to review the document as a whole. If you wish to be sent a hard copy of the Custom Election Regulations with tracked changes, please contact Veronica Seymour at 250-828- 9837 or email@example.com.
Chief and Council understand the importance of making sure the information required for the Amendment Vote is being received by Band Membership. We are doing our best to circulate this information to full membership with the contact information we have on our mailing list, however, we encourage you to share this information with your friends and family and direct them to the website if they have yet to receive their packages in the mail.