Frequently Asked Questions
This information is intended to assist taxpayers of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc on Kamloops Indian Reserve #1, understand how the First Nation property taxation system works. It is intended as a guide only and may change as amendments to the Laws are duly executed.
- Who administers the property tax system?
- Why administer real property taxes?
- How do I know that my tax dollars are put to good use?
- Why do I pay tax on land I don’t own?
- Where can I find a copy of the property tax laws?
- Is there taxation without representation?
- When will I receive my Assessment Notice?
- Can I appeal my assessment?
- Who sets the tax rate?
- When are my taxes due?
- What about home owner grants?
- When is the penalty and interest applied?
- What if I move onto the reserve in the middle of the tax year?
- What if I don’t receive a tax notice?
- First Nations Tax Commission
- First Nations Finance Authority
- First Nations Financial Management Board
- First Nations Gazette
- First Nations Tax Administrator’s Association
- BC Assessment
- Manufactured Home Registry at BC Registry Services
- City of Kamloops
- Sun Rivers Development Corporation
- Tulo Centre of Indigenous Economics at TRU